Probe into Daylesford woman’s death after dog attack

An investigation will be held into the death of a Daylesford woman who fell and hit her head when her puppy was attacked by a dog earlier this month. 

The well-known 70-year-old, who Fairfax Media has chosen not to name, was walking her puppy along Smith Street before the unaccompanied dog rushed out of a residential gate on October 10.

While details remain unclear, Victoria Police spokeswoman Jessica Brennan said the woman fell to the ground after her puppy was set upon, seriously injuring herself about 9.30am.

“During the fight, it is believed the woman suffered a fall and sustained serious injuries,” Ms Brennan said.

Nearby residents eventually found the woman on the ground, immediately dialling triple-0.

Multiple sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, claimed an ambulance took about 45 minutes to arrive while the woman’s condition deteriorated.

A nurse, who was based at a nearby school, was able to provide some care to the woman before the ambulance attended the scene.

Ambulance Victoria acting regional director Chris James said on Monday a review would be conducted into the case and that the woman’s family would be contacted as part of the process.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with the patient’s family and friends,” he said.

“All calls to triple-0 are individually assessed according to an evidence based call taking and dispatch system.

“Preliminary information indicates that triple-0 was called at 9.52am.

“The patient’s condition was initially assessed as not requiring a Code 1 ambulance response based on the available information.

“Paramedics arrived at 10.38am and after assessing the patient called for intensive care and air ambulance support.”

A witness said the woman was first taken away by road ambulance, leading some to question when the decision to call in the helicopter was made.

After arriving in Melbourne, doctors were unable to save her. Last Thursday, more than a week after the dog attack, the woman died in hospital.

The death of the much-loved woman was announced at St. Peter’s Catholic Church on Duke Street, sending shock waves through the tight-knit Daylesford community. 

One resident described it as a “tragedy”. Police will prepare a report for the coroner.